Saturday, July 16, 2011

Words, Words, Words

Something I've found myself doing is collecting quotes. I also collect ideas, phrases, poems-- words, language, and sounds in general. I'm not sure where my interests stem from but I think it's a pretty cool thing to collect. I collect ideas, which is way more practical and useful than collecting Pez dispensers or rubber duckies ("What's up with that?" - Jerry Seinfeld). I don't really get that--especially when the collection grows into like a million Pez dispensers and you have to dedicate a whole room to it? Why? I want to know why! What are you trying to say about yourself by collecting a million candy holders from your childhood? Collecting habits and practices are so fascinating! A collection speaks volumes about it's collector and the message they are trying to convey in the displaying of their objects for others to see. Like dorm rooms! Like facebook! Like museums--a-duhhh! Collecting on the national level, sooo interesting. I wonder what collecting quotes says about me! That I should have actually been a lit major? (Just kidding, I'll always love you Art History, even if you never get me a job!) That I'm trying to be intellectual? That everything I say is stolen? Probably. I had a dilemma earlier in the year... because I was stuck on the idea that at the end of the day, all I amount to is pop culture references and other people. Haha I could amount to much worse, or nothing at all, I suppose!

Anywho, this post is kicking off a new weekly tradition of posting quotes--"Quote of the Week," if you will. And to try to keep things interesting, I'm going to start off with a completely depressing quote. It's depressing to me at least, because I believe it sums up my life almost completely. But in an M. Night Shyamalan plot twist, I'll add a quote that cracks me up every time I read or think about it. First tears, then laughter!


"The trouble is not that I am single and likely to stay single, but that I am lonely and likely to stay lonely." - Charlotte Bronte


"Her hair is like a dandelion, like if you blew on it, a lot of it'd fall off." 
- Dpt. Jones, Reno 911


And the irony of it all is that the cool new font I chose makes the quotation marks look weird. What's a girl to do? Please leave your thoughts in the comments! What weird shit do you collect? What do you think of quotes? Let's go around the room.

3 comments:

  1. I'll start it off... When I was younger, I had an extensive crystal, mineral, and rock collection. I kept them in a box and I wouldn't do much with them except organize them and show them off. Then, I started a collection of smashed pennies. That ended when I donated the pennies to a co-worker so he could make an awesome belt! My last collection fell into my lap--family kept giving me currency from their trips abroad... pretty cool though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still collect currencies from countries that I've visit. Coolest part about that is have hundreds of dollars in foreign money, and its value being worthless! i.e. 500,000 Indonesian Rupiah = $58.62

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the only thing I collect is Detroit Pistons memorabilia.

    But more importantly, quotes are awesome. My favorite of the day,

    (on choosing a career)

    "How many of them really know what they want, though? I mean, a lot of them think they have to know, right? But inside they don't really know, so... I don't know ,but I know that I don't know. "

    -Lloyd Dobbler.

    ReplyDelete