Sunday, September 25, 2011

But is it Art?

 Ever since Marcel Duchamp submitted a urinal as a piece of art in 1917, everything has become art! I mean, I love you, Marcel. You did some really cool things. And you were the original bad ass. What you did was CRAZY for your time! Snaps! But today, things have gotten a little out of hand. Is that apple art or is it just an apple? Can I still eat it if its art? These are the questions I am faced with on a daily basis. Below are some crazy art forms/ pieces of art. Is it all art? Are we art?


Scott Wade
Dirty Car Art
He brushes away bits of dust with a paint brush, using gray scale values to make his images. The medium is unique but the technique is very traditional. ART!




Bryan Berg
Cardstacker
Oh, boy. I'm going with a definite yes on this one. It may possibly take more skill to stack and balance cards than it does to brush away dust. The best I can do with cardstacking is a modest three-card shack. I think building anything from anything is definitely art. Building requires skill. Reminds me of the guy who made a ship from like a billion toothpicks. Do you know what I'm talking about? Click here to see pictures because it really is amazing.






For Use/ Numen (A Design Collective in Vienna)
Tape Installations
Another example of making something from something. Right, right, right.
I wonder what that all that tape smells like after so many people run and crawl through it. 
I feel like tape gets funky after awhile, you know?

BUT! (here's the big butt) I would definitely say that this is not art. What do you think? These guys walked into a New York convenience store and purchased EVERYTHING! They then took some of those convenience store items, placed them in clear cases and called them art. An upside down coke can, for instance, is selling for $150. I hate that. I hate them. Just because you give something a ridiculous price value doesn't mean it's art. I don't know why anyone would buy a $50 Bic lighter. There is nothing unique about it and you can pick up regularly priced lighters everywhere. Sure, sure, it's for charity--for the owner of the convenience store. Great! Raise those funds but don't you dare trample on the meaning of art in the process.


It's not art, it's just shit. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment