Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Righteous Melody Weave*

I'm going to pretend that the head honchos over at the iTunes HQ asked me to compile a list of my favorite songs for this year's summer. I'm allowed to pretend I'm a celebrity because it's 2011 and the internet rules the word and I already write a blog so I'm pretty much on the path to being "God" anyway. (The quicker route is Youtube, but I hate the sound of my voice so words it is.) As your new leader in this world, the first promise I intend to keep is letting everyone continue to be pretty lazy. And with that, all the song titles are clickable links to youtube videos, in case you feel inspired to listen to any of the songs I recommend (pro tip: right click link, open in new tab). And you better, for as soon as I fix my crystal ball and my smiting powers arrive in the mail, I'll be sure to punish all readers who don't listen to at least one of these songs! 

1. This Must Be The Place (Naive Melody) - Talking Heads

Very relaxing, almost tropical? Also, a good playlist should always have at least one song by Talking Heads (or The Cure). Fact. 

2. Never Let You Go - Third Eye Blind

Another throwback, but sooooo good. Easily a "play-on-repeat"-er. Third Eye Blind has the ability, like Sugar Ray, to recall sunny and beachy images in my mind. It makes me want to crack open a weak beer like a Corona and lay in a hammock. 

3. So Nice (Summer Samba) - Marcos Valle

Climb aboard a yacht and get ready to cruise back to the late Brazilian sixties, when life was amazing. It had to be amazing, because this song is amazing. (Ugh, I couldn't find the actual song on youtube, so I'm forced to give you a link to a lame, lame version. Don't bother clicking. Just download on itunes/ steal off internet.)

4. I Love Clothes (Deadbeat Summer) - Childish Gambino

First, an awesome song by Neon Indian...about summer! (A bit too on the nose?) Second, Donald Glover rapping over it? Yes please and forever. Imagine yourself floating around in the pool from the Stacy's Mom video and/or The Graduate, totally bad ass. Plastics!

5. Our Deal - Best Coast

I feel like I've shown this video to quite a few people, but I'm just not done drooling over it all. My good friend Adam and I decided that this song is very "'driving up the coast'-y" (aka summery).

6. Can You Tell - Ra Ra Riot

Now, every single song by this band is like the best song ever. No joke. RRR is all I've been listening to since summer has started. It's alternative rock but then there are these girls who play amazing string instruments? I'm doing the math in my head right now and, yup, the best. I chose Can You Tell because lyrics, beats, love. 

7. Lights - Ellie Goulding (Bassnectar Remix)

Oh my god, the beats are amazing. Sweaty dance floor song. Party with friends song. Blast on ipod song. Pretend to be a robot while listening to this song song. 

8. Swoon - Chemical Brothers

Perfect for driving in the car on a very hot summer night, windows down, music blasting. Zoom zoom. My only regret is that the beginning build-up doesn't really climax all that dramatically. It is sort of delayed. Or like two medium peaks when it could use just one really solid release. (No sex jokes, please.) Take a few notes from Silversun Pickups--- they've got the musical build-up/release downnnn. 

9. Rich Doors - NewVillage

Just recently discovered this band. They are pretty interesting. Apparently they are like a bi-coastal (SF and Brooklyn, I believe) art collective--they dabble in art, photography, film, as well as their music. Tons of talent involved and you can hear all the different elements in their song. Had a hard time choosing between this song and my other favorite of theirs: Lighthouse.

10. No Need to Cry - Neko Case

Finally, to wind down the summer jams playlist is a country song. Love that guitar rift (just pretending I speak music).  Imagine summers in the country. It'd be a bit like The Notebook, wouldn't it? Oh, hell, or like True Blood. Either way, wrap-around porches with swings, crickets, and large moons. Who could ask for more? This song is streets ahead, as is all of Neko's music. Highly recommend for improvement of life-quality. 

Your Holiness demands that you enjoy these jams. Party on, Wayne.

* Title of the first "indie" CD I made one of my best friends in like 10th grade. Good stuff. I'm pretty amazing at coming up with playlist/mix tape/ CD titles.... will work for banana taffys. Examples include: "Rainy Day Ruminations" ...and apparently, that's all I can remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment